How to obtain non-identifying information
In Rhode Island the access to adoption
records is limited to non-identifying information. The following
is the guideline that St Mary's Home for Children/Sophia Little
follows in disclosing non-identifying information. Some facts
may be excluded either because the information is not in our
records or because the information would reveal identities.
Information about you
- Date, place and time of birth
- Physical description. The information
may include hair color, eye color, complexion, birth weight
and length, weight and length upon discharge from agency
- Description of agency care. This
information may include the date of admittance, type of
residence, date of discharge, description of medical
attention, development and personal traits.
Information about birth parents and their families
- Physical Description. This information
may include age, weight and build, height, hair color, eye
color and complexion.
- Family description. This information
may include family size, relationship to other family
members and ethnicity.
- Personal Description. The information
may include a description of personality, likes, dislikes,
hobbies, education, school performance, employment history
and future plans
- Medical information.
- Proof of your relationship - drivers license and/or birth certificate.
- Birth certificates, time frames, names and any other relevant information that could help us locate the records.
- Type of program that might have been involved (residential, adoption, foster care, respite, etc.)
Information may also include the type of
planning, the decision making process, any support received and
the thoughts about the decision to make an adoption plan.
A complete background report is $100.00. Please
make checks payable to St. Mary's Home for Children. Services provided,
at no cost, include adding information to the record, checking information
added to the adoption record, determining whether the Agency record
exists and giving general information.
Please address inquiries to:
Director of Operations
St. Mary's Home for Children
420 Fruit Hill Avenue
North Providence, RI 02911
(401) 353-3900, ext. 300
Registry for Adoptees
Rhode Island now has a registry for
adoptees. The registry will match you with your parent(s) or
child if they are searching too. The address and phone number
Rhode Island Family Court
One Dorrance Plaza
Providence, RI 02903